As a dedicated athlete, you understand the importance of hydration for maximum physical performance. But there are a ton of other health benefits, too, from temperature regulation to fewer headaches.
To make sure you’re drinking enough water, you first need to understand your body’s specific fluid needs, and then set a daily intake goal—which you can meet with these tips.
How to Properly Hydrate
- Liven up your water with fresh fruit, veggies and herbs. Try any of these 23 infused water ideas, or get creative with your own combinations.
- Keep a reusable bottle with you, so you can easily drink water on the go. If you really want to get serious about your H2O intake, get a smart water bottle.
- Drink a glass of water before each meal. This will help you get into the habit of drinking more water, as well as help you discern if you’re actually hungry or just thirsty.
- Eat foods that are higher in water, like lettuce, celery and zucchini. Melons like cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon are great sources, too.
- Add ice to your drinks and smoothies—just four ice cubes adds roughly half of a cup of water.
- Use an app to track your H2O intake. You can also simply set reminders or alarms on your phone.
- Refill your bottle or glass as soon as it’s empty, so you’re always stocked up.
- Tie your hydration goals to your workout goals. Make a point of filling and then finishing a bottle of water every single time you exercise.
- Start and end your work day with a few glasses of water. Even if your day is hectic, this tactic ensures your body gets a decent amount of hydration.
- You certainly don’t have to replace every drink with water, but instead of a sugary drink like soda, try sparkling water to satisfy your fizzy craving. For every cup of coffee, drink one glass of water, or try switching to herbal tea for more hydration.
Now that you know how to get hydrated, incorporate these ideas into your daily routine. Follow our blog and PHUEL social media for more tips on how to optimize your fitness training.